ASM Global, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG Park is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one- of-a-kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome (“The” Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking a unique Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice to join our Engineering team. Under general supervision, the Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice performs work as needed to maintain and repair facility mechanical, electrical, and plumbing operating systems. Duties include semi-skilled tasks, which often require heavy lifting, a high degree of physical exertion and walking or standing for long periods of time. Acts as liaison between the facility and clients, ensuring all clients’ requirements are met and facility rules, regulations and policies are adhered to.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following:
- Assist in maintaining, troubleshoot and repair of all kitchen mechanical exhaust fans, refrigeration and chilled water equipment and systems owned or operated by NRG Park. Equipment includes but is not limited to water treatment equipment, HVAC, chilled water systems, air handler units, and refrigerant reclamation.
- Assist in performing coil cleaning and preventative maintenance on all types of equipment and may repair fountain water systems and related mechanical systems; domestic hot and cold water systems and related equipment; sanitary pumps, tanks, fittings and valves; surge (fire) supply tanks, plumbing supplies and hoses.
- Respond to building service calls and troubleshoot problems within facility and take corrective action.
- Assist in preventive maintenance on plumbing and HVAC systems equipment located in multiple buildings as required for the safe and efficient operation of the facility.
- Assist in the repair, inspection, and rebuilding of equipment to maintain quality standards on equipment and machinery at each facility.
- Perform work in a manner consistent with plant safety, housekeeping standards and quality checks.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Not Applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understand the methods, principles, and practices required for the operation and maintenance of the mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems.
- Be a skilled craftsman in the maintenance field.
- Use of basic hand and power tools.
- Basic plumbing equipment operation knowledge, augers and sewer machines.
- Must uphold ASM Global safety standards.
- Must provide exceptional customer service.
- Must be able to effectively work with others.
- Good verbal and written communication skills: Required
- Good written, verbal and computer skills.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Work in a fast-paced environment.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Work irregular schedule to ensure proper supervision of all events and activities scheduled in the facility, as required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Two years’ experience preferred.
- Must obtain Boiler Permit within 60 days of employment.
- HVAC Certification is preferred but not required.
- Technical support school or advanced electrical or refrigeration courses is a plus.
- Any Level Type I, II, III of EPA Certification for refrigeration is a plus.
- At least one (1) year certificate in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration is preferred but not required.
- Any previous experience in operating the following equipment is a plus: Genie Lift, Fork Lift, JLG Boom-lift, versa-hauler and man-lifts as well as other motorized lifting equipment.
- Any technical support school, advanced electrical or refrigeration courses is a plus.
Skills and Abilities
- Proper knowledge and usage of all equipment needed to perform required duties.
- Understand the fundamentals of a Life Safety System.
- Follow and adhere to all safety precautions, building codes, rules, regulations, risk management and emergency procedures.
- Operate standard office equipment and personal computer(s) using MS Windows, Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
- Must perform strenuous physical duties at times, including lifting, carrying, moving and climbing.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.
- Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-10 hours a day.
- Must be able to stretch and reach.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please include a recent copy of your resume with a cover letter and salary requirements as part of your application.
How To Apply
Only the first 150 resumes received will be considered.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (832) 667-1803.
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.