ASM Global, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Groundskeeper Intern at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG Park is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one-of-a-kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome ("The" Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking unique Groundskeeper Interns to join our Grounds team. The Groundskeeper Intern, under general supervision, assists in maintaining the playing field and grounds at the stadium and team practice fields. Duties include skilled and semi-skilled tasks, which often require heavy lifting and a high degree of physical exertion, such as planting, cleaning, and maintaining sanitary conditions. Interns are expected to work a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week. The time-period of the Internship can be adjusted to meet the requirements of the degree plan of the student, and/or with the approval of the General Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following:
- Assists in daily field cultural practices at Houston Texans practice facility. (mowing, fertilizing, sodding, aerification)
- Assist in the set-up of the playing field for all NFL, College, and High School games as well as other special events that come through the stadium, i.e. concerts, exhibits and soccer matches.
- Perform chemical and fertilizer spray application under managers supervision.
- Assist in the maintenance of the field equipment and supplies while maintaining a log of the work performed.
- Assist in the maintenance of the irrigation system (replace sprinkler heads, repair leaks, adjust distribution, inspect moisture content) at Houston Texans practice fields.
- Assists in the planting and care of shrubs, flowers, trees and grass.
- Often use hand tools and equipment or light powered hand tools.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Not applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possess understanding of the operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services, and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility.
- Understand and work from general instructions, specifications, blueprints, sketches and preventative maintenance schedules.
- Follow all policies/procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules, regulations and emergency procedures established at the facility.
- Demonstrate ability to carry out tasks in a reliable, productive and expedient manner and be able to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Organize and prioritize work from event overviews and task lists to meet deadlines.
- Work independently, exercising judgement and initiative.
- Perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ensuring and following safety measures and regulations for forklift operation.
- Maintain and handle confidential information.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays.
- Enrollment in or graduated from a (2) or (4) year program at an accredited college or university with the intent to pursue a career in the Sports and Entertainment industry.
- Major course of study in one of the following areas: Turf Management
Skills and Abilities
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Follow and communicate effectively both oral and written instructions.
- Ability to reach deadlines and work quickly and efficiently.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Operate a personal computer using Outlook, Windows, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and other standard office equipment.
- Be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- One (1) year of experience operating a forklift, mowing, heavy equipment preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
- Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-10 hours per day.
- Must be able to stretch and reach.
- Ability to work outside in varying weather temperatures and conditions.