SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Carpenter Helper at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG Park is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one of a kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome (“The” Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking a unique Carpenter Helper to join our Maintenance team. The Carpenter Helper under general supervision, performs work as needed to maintain and repair facility operating systems during event times. Duties include skilled and semi-skilled tasks, which often require heavy lifting and a high degree of physical exertion. Also, acts as liaison between the facility and clients, ensuring all clients’ requirements are met and facility rules, regulations and policies are adhered to.
Position Reports To:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following:
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Perform repairs and maintenance to existing structures including but not limited to parking signs, podiums, crates and storage containers.
- Cut wood and build objects as required..
- Manage and maintain carpentry shop adhering to all safety regulations.
- Manage carpentry inventory of tools and materials.
- Follow the preventive maintenance program and standard operating procedures for all machinery and equipment.
- Record and log all work performed, complete work order slips and compile all required reports in a timely and complete manner.
- Promote a safe working environment for all employees by following the life safety and emergency program as needed.
- Operate power tools and other equipment, such as, light trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, access lifts, or other power driven equipment.
- May occasionally have to enter areas where fumes, airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals are present.
- Work at heights using correct safety equipment.
- Develop and submit lists of necessary repairs and improvements.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Not applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Know general techniques in staining, carpentry, Mica repairs and applying Mica and building hardware maintenance.
- Shop math applicable to the building trades.
- Possess understanding of the operational procedures, facility capabilities for event-related services, and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at NRG Park.
- Interpret shop drawings, sketches and work orders.
- Understand and work from general instructions, specifications, blueprints, sketches and preventative maintenance schedules.
- Follow all policies/procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules, regulations and emergency procedures established at NRG Park.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Organize and prioritize work from event overviews and task lists to meet deadlines.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ensuring and following safety measures and regulations for forklift operation.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or GED and one to three months related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays.
- Demonstrate ability to carry out tasks in a reliable, productive and expedient manner and be able to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Work in a fast paced environment.
- Not applicable.
- Be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
- Must perform strenuous physical duties at times, including lifting, carrying, moving and climbing.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.
- Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-10 hours a day.
- Climbing ladders and working from heights as necessary.
- Must to able to stretch and reach.
Note: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Human Resources Manager
One NRG Park
Houston, Texas 77054
Only the first 150 resumes received will be considered.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact (832)667-1806.