SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for a Full-Time Operating Engineer I at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one of a kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome (“The” Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking a unique Full-Time Operating Engineer I to join our Engineering team. The Operating Engineer I, under general supervision, performs work as needed to maintain our Central Plant and repair our facility mechanical, electrical and plumbing operating systems. Duties include skilled and semi-skilled tasks, which often require heavy lifting, a high degree of physical exertion and walking or standing for long periods of time. Acts as liaison between the facility and clients, ensuring all clients’ requirements are met and facility rules, regulations and policies are adhered to.
Position Reports To:
Essential Duties and Responsibilites:
- Operate, monitor, repair and maintain the facility’s plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems as required for the safe and efficient operation of the facility, but not limited to: Chillers, Boilers, Air Handling Units, Domestic Water Systems and other plumbing equipment.
- Assist and perform preventive maintenance on equipment located in multiple buildings at facility.
- Assist and perform preventive maintenance, repair, inspection, and rebuild as necessary to maintain quality standards on equipment and machinery at facility.
- Drive folk lift and operate scissor lift.
- Perform work in a manner consistent with plant safety, housekeeping standards and quality checks.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Not applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understand the methods, principles, and practices required for the operation and maintenance of the mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems.
- Properly use all equipment needed to perform required duties.
- Be a skilled craftsman in the maintenance field.
- Provide mechanical and troubleshooting skills.
- Basic Knowledge of general techniques in plumbing, electrical wiring and ventilating systems.
- Basic knowledge to read and comprehend blueprints, drawings, electric motor schematics and other related materials.
- Effectively operate, maintain and repair HVAC equipment.
- Follow and adhere to all safety precautions, building codes, rules, regulations, risk management and emergency procedures.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Work in a fast paced environment.
- Good written, verbal and computer skills.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma/GED required
- 3RD Grade Stationary Engineer’s License required.
- Any Level Type I, II, III of EPA Certification for refrigeration is required.
- Technical training in HVAC a plus but not required.
- HVAC Water Treatment Certification.
- Boiler and Heating Systems Certification (3rd Grade Stationary License).
- HVAC Certification I (Preferred; but not required) is a plus.
- Knowledge of testing & treating water to maintain proper chemical levels and clarity is required.
- Previous experience in operating the following equipment: Genie Lift, Fork Lift, JLG Boom-lift, Scissor-lifts as well as other motorized lifting equipment.
Skills and Abilities
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Must uphold SMG safety standards.
- Must provide exceptional customer service.
- Must be able to effectively work with others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication required.
- Must be available for on-call, after-hours and weekend support in a 24/7 environment.
- Operate standard office equipment and personal computer(s) using Outlook, MS Windows, Excel, MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of Building Automation Systems is required.
- Be licenses to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
- Must perform strenuous physical duties at times, including lifting, carrying, moving and climbing.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.Must to able to stretch and reach.
- Must be able to stand and work on your feet for 8-10 hours a day.
- Must be able to stretch and reach.
Note: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Human Resources Manager
One NRG Park
Houston, Texas 77054
Only the first 150 resumes received will be considered.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact (832)667-1806.