SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Accounting Assistant – Accounts Payable at NRG Park in Houston, Texas. NRG Park is in the fast lane for opportunity and excitement. We are a one of a kind premier facility with four major venues within one giant park. NRG Center (one million+ sq. ft. Convention Center), NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans and The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo), NRG Astrodome (“The” Astrodome), and NRG Arena. We are seeking a unique Accountant to join our Finance team. The Accounting Assistant, under general supervision of the Director of Finance and Accounting Manager, works closely with all financial matters including accounts receivable and payable, general ledger, auditing, box office, and event settlements. Also, acts as liaison between the facility and clients, ensuring all clients’ requirements are met and facility rules, regulations and policies are adhered to.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following:
- Perform the day-to-day accounting of all accounts payable including coding, inputting, matching vendor invoices to purchase orders and check disbursement.
- Type vouchers, invoices, checks, account statements, reports and other records.
- Maintain all vendor files, respond to inquiries and research discrepancies.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Assist in monthly close process including accruals, analysis, and preparation of journal entries.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Not applicable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Know and apply standard accounting principles, financial control procedures, computerized accounting systems/software, and financial management.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, vendors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
Education and/or Experience
- Associates Degree from a two-year college or university and one (1) to two (2) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in the sports and entertainment industry, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Work effectively under pressure and produce accurate results.
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Word, Excel and other standard office equipment.
- Experience on an accounting software package is preferred, Solomon and File Maker Pro is a plus.
- Ability to work extended and/or irregular hours that may vary due to functions, including day, evening, weekends and holidays as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Please include a recent copy of your resume with a cover letter and salary requirements as part of your application.
Human Resources Manager
One NRG Park
Houston, Texas 77054
Only the first 150 resumes received will be considered.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact (832) 667-1803.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.